Significance of Birth Rashi (Zodiac Sign) in Indian Astrology
Zodiac sign is referred to as ‘Rashi’ in Indian Astrology. There are twelve Rashis in a zodiacal belt, made of clusters of stars or ‘Nakshatras’.
The zodiac sign that was occupied by the Moonat the time of birth of an individual is considered to be his/her Birth Rashi. As Moon is the significator of emotions and mind, the Birth Rashi determines an individual’s appearance and mental disposition. But his/her nature is revealed only by the Birth Nakshatra (Birth Star). Even if two people are born in same Rashi, there is a possibility that their personality might be different, depending on many factors.
Although the meaning & symbols of Rashi signs are the same as ‘Sun-based’ zodiac signs, they have been given a traditional names in Indian Astrology – like Pisces is ‘Meen’ (fish) and Cancer is ‘Kark’ (crab), etc.
While Rashi Chart is prepared using the positioning of the Moon during birth, the Patrika (Birthchart) is made based on the time and location of birth.
Interpretations using Birth Rashi and Rashi Chart:
- Rashis are an essential indicator of the inner workings of an individual – his or her true nature, strengths, vulnerabilities, and emotional quotient.
- Rashi information is used for finding details about star Transits.
- As Moon is a fastest moving planet, Rashi Chart (Moon sign based chart) is used for making short-term or frequent forecasts or interpretations (daily or weekly). For making long-term analysis, Patrika (Birthchart) is considered.
- Marriage compatibility analysis of prospective bride and groom is done using the Rashi chart.
The planet ruling over the Birth sign, ‘Rashi Lord‘, also influences the personality traits of the individual. Here is a snapshot of the qualities of each Rashi sign in relation to their Rashi Lords.
‘Type of Sign’ is a snapshot of the way a zodiac sign acts behaves – its mode of operation. For instance:
– Movable signs are outgoing and adventurous.
– Fixed signs are focused and determined.
– Mutable signs are flexible and versatile.
Similarly, if an individual’s Birth Rashi is Masculine, then he/she would mostly be an extrovert. While those with Feminine Rashis would have an introverted disposition.
When it comes to element-based classifications of zodiac signs – Fire, Earth, Air, and Water – it is easy to understand the basic temperament of each Rashi sign.
– Fire signs are active and energetic
– Earth signs are practical and action-focused
– Air signs are social and intelligent
– Water signs are emotional and family-oriented
To get an astrological interpretation of your Rashi Chart, talk to PunditJunction. Arrange an interaction.
- How to judge horoscope (Vol 1) by B.V. Raman
- Bhrigu Samhita by Maharishi Bhrigu.
- Patrika: Refers to the Birthchart or horoscope of an individual, also known as Janm Patrika, Kundali, or Lagna Patrika.